Formed in 1987, the Building Industry Legal Defense Foundation (BILD) is a California mutual benefit nonprofit corporation whose purposes are to monitor legal developments and to initiate litigation designed to improve the business climate for the building industry.
BILD is a wholly owned subsidiary of BIA of Southern California, Inc. BILD actions must be approved by its 16-member Board of Directors.
WHAT DOES BILD DO?
BILD’s mission is to defend the legal rights of California's building professionals, as well as their workers, and their customers. BILD promotes and supports important legal cases to secure favorable court decisions for the building industry. BILD focuses on cases with a regional or statewide significance to its mission.
The BILD program impacts important issues, such as excessive development fees, restrictive local growth control measures and the misapplication of the California Environmental Quality Act and other environmental laws, such as the Endangered Species Act and Clean Water Act.
To ensure that the industry’s view is both heard and considered, BILD:
- Files friend-of-the-court briefs
- Requests the California Supreme Court de-publish unfavorable decisions or publish favorable decisions from lower state courts
- Files lawsuits on behalf of the building industry
- Comments on behalf of the building industry at key hearings and other regulatory proceedings held by local, state and federal agencies.
- Assists selected litigants with financial help
Additionally, BILD works with the California Building Industry Association and the National Association of Home Builders to support issues of statewide and national significance.
For information regarding the Building Legal Defense Foundation (BILD) please contact Shanda Beltran firstname.lastname@example.org, or at 949-777-3849.